if(typeof(networkedblogs)=="undefined"){networkedblogs={};networkedblogs.blogId=1394317;networkedblogs.shortName="the-hall-family";}

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Friendships really can last a lifetime

Over recent days and weeks, I have been reminded of just how valuable really good friendships can be, as well as just how easy it is to take these friendships for granted. I know the usual school of thought is that a truly good friendship just happens, does not require any work.  However, I believe that just isn't true. Much like vegetables in a garden, friendships must be fertilized, watered, and tended to so they can grow and flourish! Unfortunately, sometimes those friendships have to be pruned from your life as well.
Over the past couple of years, I have been very fortunate to rekindle some dear friendships, some from as far back as over 30 years ago! Talk about a real blessing!! The person I have always felt was my very best friend ever, I had not seen or talked to since I graduated high school!
I am so thankful that I found her one day, several years ago, as I was surfing through facebook posts. When I found her name and realized that it was truly HER, I was beside myself! I was so excited that I had found her, even though she wasn't actually lost - except by me! I found her shortly before she was going to be married, and as luck would have it, I was unable to attend her wedding. I was, however, able to go and spend some time with her not too long after that horrible marriage ended!
You see, this wonderful friend of mine has had to deal with feelings very similar to my own over the years, of inadequacy and insecurity. We have both had times over the years of not being good enough for the people we loved the most, feeling as if we were not loved by our family or friends unless they found themselves in need of something we had. Feelings like that are not only sad, but also very but lonely as well. Even though we may have tons of people around us at any given moment, we could never feel that closeness with others. When the friendship was rekindled though, we both began to bloom once again!
Now, we still do not get to see each other as often as we would like, but we each know that if we are ever in need, the other is only a phone call or text message away. Even if I cannot physically go to be at her side, I can still make sure that she is reminded of just how much I truly love her, and how badly I want to be there with her, to help her through a difficult time. I know that she would do the same for me in a heartbeat!
To say I am thankful for this precious friendship would be an understatement! Simple words of thanks just do not do the feelings and good times that we have shared any justice.
When we were reunited, the smiles could not be burned from our faces and the laughs could not be stopped! Of course, we shed a great number of tears as well, but we were there to hug each other, and give that comforting message of "I'll always be there for you and you will never have to feel that lonely feeling ever again!"
As I said, we don't get to be together very often because we live a distance apart. However, each of us knows that the other is ready and willing to drop everything and come running to be by her side if the need is there. I know that I can call her at 2:00 am on any given day and she will wake up and talk to me. She may not be happy about being woken up at that hour, but she will still make herself available, and I will never hear her complain about my waking her up!! It would be the same if the roles were reversed.
To have a friend like that is absolutely priceless! I cannot show enough gratitude for this precious gift God has chosen to give me through this friendship. All I can do, is to continue to work hard for the Lord and keep sharing Him with her. The most beautiful part of that statement is that I know she is doing the same for me!

I love you Rhonda and I am so glad that God pulled us back together to share our 'golden years'! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment